Sunday, August 17, 2008

Poor Broken Rayne


Well..so much for Rayne's first camping experience. We got to the site and set up the tent and bedding and ate dinner and Rayne and her cousins were anxious to get to the playground. My first instinct was to say no, it was getting too late and almost dark, but I let her go with my Sister in Law and her cousins. A little while later I heard her blood curdling scream from all the way at the playground. So I went over there to see what was going on and she was still crying and screaming and my Sister in Law was holding her. I went to get her and looked down and saw her arm just dangling there and looked SO not right. I knew it was broken immediately. I yelled that her arm was broken and what happened? She fell from the monkey bars and landed on her arm. I got her back to the camp site as quickly as possible yelling for someone to help me with her. My Dad finally came out to the road and saw me and I yelled that her arm was broken and we got her back to the site. There was a paramedic not far from our site and he came over and helped get her arm in a makeshift splint and then we got her in the car on my lap in the front to get her to the hospital. When we got there, they took xrays and found out it was dislocated and very badly broken. It would need pins. They didn't have an orthopedic surgeon that could fix her, so we had to drive all the way back home to our hospital. We got in at about 3:30am. She hadn't had any pain meds up to this point. She was a serious trooper. She slept for most of the way there. She finally got a shot of morphine at 4:30. We talked to the surgeon shortly after that and when it was time to go up to pre-op, she was being SO good. She wasn't afraid and was talking and laughing with the nurse and anesthesiologist. They told her where me and Grandma would be (my Mom came with us to help with Quinn). They then started wheeling her away and she didn't cry or anything. I, however, broke down as soon as she was out of sight. Just for a bit. I was scared of the surgery and emotionally drained. I can't believe how much pain she must have been in. The surgery took about an hour and then she slept til about 10:30. I had 2 balloons and gift waiting for her when she woke up. She was happy about that. Once the local wore off she began to be in pain and has been in a quite a bit of pain for the last couple of days, but I think she's getting better. She was much better this evening with just over the counter pain meds. We had great nurses and they had a crib in the room for Quinn and an extra bed for me and my Mom to get some rest. My Mom stayed with us the whole time. She was up for over 24 hours by the time we were released that evening. Then we got home and my Mom unpacked our entire car and most of the clothes and stuff and cleaned up the house a bit before getting a ride home. My Dad stayed behind to finish out the camping trip with Rayne's cousins. Dave fell twice during this whole ordeal and banged up his head pretty good. He's still sore. It was just an awful weekend. But we are thankful it wasn't worse. She says she never wants to go camping again, but I'm sure she'll go sometime. She goes back in on Tuesday to get xrays done to make sure things are healing how they should be. She has 2 pins in her arm and a fiberglass splint all wrapped up. They are hoping the pins will be out in about a month. We are praying that it heals nicely and no need for any more surgery.

No bio this time..just too tired.

No comments: